Grace Keiser Maring Library

Grace Keiser Maring Library

The Grace Keiser Maring Library is located on the south side of Muncie, Indiana. Built at 1808 South Madision Street, the library resides next to Heekin Park, the largest and oldest community park in Muncie. The library was the first branch library built in the city.

History

Grace Maring was the wife of Joel Maring, founder of glass factories throughout Muncie, Indiana. A philanthropist and advocate for education, Grace Maring gave the city of Muncie $25,000 upon her death to develop a public library system. In 1930, the Grace Keiser Maring Library was dedicated, and began serving the south side of Muncie. The library was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 15, 2005.2

Architecture

The library was designed by architects Herbert Smenner and Charles Houck. The architectural style is a variation of colonial revival, a popular style in the early 20th century. Built from brick and trimmed with limestone, it is the only remaining civic building of this style in Muncie

Employees

Grace Thornson

Jonathan Franks

Grace Keiser Maring Library

Muncie Under Fire 2percentright